Aug 14, 2014
I was supposed to be on this 500-calorie a day diet and you want to know what 500 calories like? Yep, its above, and a little more. A Great Taste 3-in-1 White Coffee is 85 calories, a boiled egg is 77, a Magic Flakes crackers is 130, and the Okra is 32 calories. That is what I ate up until I stop counting! I was beginning to have a headache and so I ate. I had turon and another cup of coffee. I was good up until this point because I exercised for one hour, but come dinner, I went home to Paksiw na Pata, and all traces of counting calories all went out the window.
It is tedious to count calories and it sometimes take the fun out of eating. But it still pays to know how much calories I consume a day. Maybe I am having difficulty now because I am not used to this limited intake, but I hope to be able to do it one of these days.
Aug 8, 2014
In an interview, Pope Francis listed his Top 10 tips for bringing greater joy to one's life:
1. "Live and let live." Everyone should be guided by this principle, he said, which has a similar expression in Rome with the saying, "Move forward and let others do the same."
2. "Be giving of yourself to others." People need to be open and generous toward others, he said, because "if you withdraw into yourself, you run the risk of becoming egocentric. And stagnant water becomes putrid."
3. "Proceed calmly" in life. The pope, who used to teach high school literature, used an image from an Argentine novel by Ricardo Guiraldes, in which the protagonist -- gaucho Don Segundo Sombra -- looks back on how he lived his life.
"He says that in his youth he was a stream full of rocks that he carried with him; as an adult, a rushing river; and in old age, he was still moving, but slowly, like a pool" of water, the pope said. He said he likes this latter image of a pool of water -- to have "the ability to move with kindness and humility, a calmness in life."
4. "A healthy sense of leisure." The pleasures of art, literature and playing together with children have been lost, he said.
"Consumerism has brought us anxiety" and stress, causing people to lose a "healthy culture of leisure." Their time is "swallowed up" so people can't share it with anyone.
Even though many parents work long hours, they must set aside time to play with their children; work schedules make it "complicated, but you must do it," he said.
Families must also turn off the TV when they sit down to eat because, even though television is useful for keeping up with the news, having it on during mealtime "doesn't let you communicate" with each other, the pope said.
5. Sundays should be holidays. Workers should have Sundays off because "Sunday is for family," he said.
6. Find innovative ways to create dignified jobs for young people. "We need to be creative with young people. If they have no opportunities they will get into drugs" and be more vulnerable to suicide, he said.
"It's not enough to give them food," he said. "Dignity is given to you when you can bring food home" from one's own labor.
7. Respect and take care of nature. Environmental degradation "is one of the biggest challenges we have," he said. "I think a question that we're not asking ourselves is: 'Isn't humanity committing suicide with this indiscriminate and tyrannical use of nature?'"
8. Stop being negative. "Needing to talk badly about others indicates low self-esteem. That means, 'I feel so low that instead of picking myself up I have to cut others down,'" the pope said. "Letting go of negative things quickly is healthy."
9. Don't proselytize; respect others' beliefs. "We can inspire others through witness so that one grows together in communicating. But the worst thing of all is religious proselytism, which paralyzes: 'I am talking with you in order to persuade you,' No. Each person dialogues, starting with his and her own identity. The church grows by attraction, not proselytizing," the pope said.
10. Work for peace. "We are living in a time of many wars," he said, and "the call for peace must be shouted. Peace sometimes gives the impression of being quiet, but it is never quiet, peace is always proactive" and dynamic.
Aug 5, 2014
I am one of the many hopeful parents of Grade 6 students who wishes for their kids to be admitted at the Philippine Science High School. That is why, I am sharing with you that the application can now be downloaded thru this link. Deadline of application is on August 15, and examination date is on October 4, 2014.
I am copying the full announcement here:
Application for PSHS National Competitive Examination (NCE)
CRITERIA FOR ELIGIBILITY
A grade 6 pupil* from a duly recognized school by the Department of Education who meets the following criteria is eligible to apply for the PSHS National Competitive Examination (NCE).
He / She must:
belong to the upper 10% of the batch (SY 2013-2014) and does not have a grade below 80% as certified by the School Principal or Registrar. If the applicant does not belong to the upper 10%, he/she should have special aptitude in Science and Math as evidenced by the report card, with at least a final grade of 85% in Science and Math and 80% in all other subjects;Downloadable copy of Application Form, NCE Application Process and Requirements and Sample Test Questions.
be a Filipino citizen with no pending application as immigrant to any foreign country;
be born on or after June 1, 2000;
be in good health and fit to undergo a rigorous academic program;
be of good conduct and behavior; and
not have taken the PSHS NCE previously.
* In his/her 6th year of basic elementary education (excluding kindergarten and preparatory school).
Fully accomplished Application Form in two (2) copies
Two (2) identical recent 1x1 ID pictures
Non-refundable test fee (Php 100 for private schools, free for public schools)
Copy of report card (SY 2013-2014)
Only one test will be administered, a scholastic aptitude test (known as National Competitive Examination) which is designed to measure Scientific Ability, Quantitative Ability, Abstract Reasoning, and Verbal Aptitude. The NCE will be administered on October 4, 2014.
The PSHS NCE Application Form and the accompanying material are not for sale, may be photocopied, and may be downloaded through this link. No reservation fee is required.
Application forms are also available and may be filed at any of the following: PSHS campuses, DOST Regional offices, or Provincial Science and Technology Offices. Application forms with incomplete information will not be processed. Erasures, alterations and insertions must be initialed by the applicant.
The Examination Permit(s) will be issued to the applicants upon completion of all documents by the campus where the application was processed. For applications filed with DOST agencies, the exam permits will be mailed to the applicant, or to the School Principal for distribution to its applicant(s).
In case the exam permits are not received two (2) weeks before the examination day, the applicants should check with the nearest PSHS campus, DOST Regional Office, DOST Provincial Science and Technology Office, or the PSHS System Admissions Office.
** The deadline for filing of application is on August 15, 2014.
** The date of the examination is on October 4, 2014.