Jan 18, 2012

Clarin Ancestral House, Bohol

The Clarin Ancestral House is located in Loay, Bohol. It was our next stop after visiting the Loay Church, during our 2nd trip to Bohol in 2009 when we visited old churches of Bohol, the Punta Cruz watch tower and where I first rode a habal-habal!
As in any old houses, the Clarin Ancestral House has seen better days and would have benefited from a professional restoration. But at P20 entrance fee, I doubt that they can pay for that kind of upkeep. But at least, we still get to see how our ancestors lived some 100 years ago!The Clarin family are prominent politicians from the province of Bohol, like municipal mayors, governors and senators from way back.
I love this big mirror but I wouldn't want this in my house because scenes from horror movies keeps on replaying inside my head! But I love that poster bed and the high ceilinged rooms and I can feel that it was very much cooler inside the house. I just wish we can still afford to build houses like these.There are old stuff to see like urinals made of porcelain, cuspidor or spittoon(eww!), old armchairs, religious relics and kitchen stuff and this porcupine! In one of the bedrooms, there was also a hidden exit under the bed, in case one has to make a quick escape! My husband and I posed at this table where a picture of Kris Aquino and her son Josh was displayed, taken when they visited the house.
There is also the Cafe Olegario, which I can see from the pictures on display, was named after Olegario Clarin. The garden looks so peaceful and inviting, we didnt want to leave!
But we didnt get to try any food at the Cafe because our habal-habal was waiting to bring us to Loboc Church and Loboc Museum. It was really fun visiting ancestral homes and dreaming of life much simpler and more comfortable for our ancestors. I just wish that more of our younger generations learn from them somehow.



1 comment:

  1. I hope this Ancestral House in Clarin, Bohol would be promoted by the local tourism office.

    ReplyDelete